Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Journey

This is Katie's sister, Amy:

Katie, Michael and Sophia Mekdes will begin their journey home in about an hour. I know that they are so excited for their families to meet Sophia (and believe me...we are SO excited to meet her!), but I think leaving Ethiopia is a little bittersweet for them as well. As I am certain you can tell from her blog posts, this has been an amazing time for them and while they have grown together as a family they have experienced tremendous personal growth as well. I can't wait to see all of the pictures, watch the videos, and hear all of the amazing stories that are not easily conveyed through choppy phone connections and text messages.

Please pray for safe travels and good health. I received an email from Katie about an hour ago saying that she was feeling nauseous and that Sophia had a fever earlier in the day. Traveling internationally (with a baby) is, I'm sure, rarely enjoyable -- but bearable...tolerable.. would be nice. Let's keep our fingers crossed for that.

While Katie has had some internet access, she has not been able to read the comments posted on her blog. I have been emailing them to her, and I know that they have meant so much to both of them. Thank you for your constant support and encouragement. Many of you have adopted or are in the process currently, and you have been able to provide a form of support that we cannot. For that I am extremely grateful.

When Katie decided on the title of her blog, "Journey From Ethiopia", I suggested that "From" should perhaps be "To". This is the story of your adoption process, your journey to Ethiopia. But Katie responded - No, this is the story of us coming home as a family. It's been a long journey, but it's finally happening! And this story is sweet, and perfect and definitely worth the wait.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

This post made me teary, Amy. You are a good sister and a good friend to those of us who are following Katie and Michael's journey. I will be praying for health, smooth travels and a peaceful transition for all. I too can't wait to hear and see more of their trip!

Heidi

AprilM said...

I'm so Happy for you guys!!!! Praying for safe travel....I can't wait to hear more!!!!

Eryn said...

I echo Heidi's comment! I totally teared up reading this.

I wish I could be there to meet Sophia in person, too! Praying for a enjoyable trip home for the Morris Fam!

Leanne said...

Alright, got me all teared up, too! I hope it's a wonderful, uneventful trip! Thank you for the update.

Gayla said...

LOVE the description on why she chose the title!!! That is beautiful and amazing.

Praying for a smooth and peaceful trip!!!

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

Looking forward to hearing more!
Thank you for guest-blogging and we're all awaiting Sophie's arrival!